Recent investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have resulted in high-profile settlements and prosecutions of companies and individuals for violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). These businesses under investigation span industries in which Chaffe McCall attorneys have had extensive experience representing, including oil and gas, healthcare, and water treatment industries.
The firm has a core group of attorneys devoted exclusively to representing clients in all aspects and stages of the compliance process, from conducting company risk assessments and developing anti-corruption compliance programs to negotiating with U.S. or foreign governments. Chaffe McCall’s FCPA team employs a practical approach that recognizes the need not only to comply with the relevant laws but also to achieve business objectives at an efficacy of cost.
Our FCPA team has the requisite foreign legal and cultural experience to help clients understand and work through overwhelming and complex international scenarios. In particular, our team consist of lawyers who have lived and worked overseas for many years in high-risk countries. Our attorneys are also well versed in various foreign laws and cultures. We have extensive contacts with local counsel in non-US jurisdictions. Most importantly, our team includes experienced federal trial lawyers who are respected and trusted by DOJ prosecutors. Our lawyers are frequent speakers and have published numerous articles on FCPA and anti-corruption topics. The FCPA team includes:
- A former First Assistant U.S. Attorney and Criminal Division Chief who has designed and implemented numerous corporate compliance programs.
- A former DOJ Organized Crime Strike Force Chief and DOJ Embassy Legal Attaché who has handled high-profile corruption prosecutions, conducted international money laundering investigations and corporate compliance programs, and performed corruption risk assessments in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa.
- A former Criminal Court Chief Judge with extensive experience in advising corporate executives and corporations on best business practices.
Publications & Presentations
- “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Through the Lens of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Georgia,” Louisiana Bar Journal (January 2014)
- “The Role of International Law in FCPA Investigations.” Presentation at LSBA Annual Meeting, Destin, Fl (June 2016)
- “Ten Hallmarks of FCPA Compliance,” presentation at Parami Energy Company Forum in Yangon, Myanmar (February 2016)
- “Compliance Issues in High Risk Countries,” presentation at the Institute of Internal Auditors’ Southern Regional Conference (November 2015)
- “Corruption: An International Perspective,” CLE presentation at the LSBA White Collar Crime Symposium, New Orleans,La (April 2015)
- “The FCPA: Reducing Risk when doing Business in the Developing World.” CLE presentation at LSBA/Chaffe McCall Business Forum (March 2015)
- “Addressing Corruption in an Oil Economy,” yearly presentation at Louisiana State University’s Law School (April 2014 – Present)