Fernand L. Laudumiey
Fernand “Ferdie” Laudumiey’s practice primarily focuses on the areas of bankruptcy law and complex bankruptcy litigation. He has successfully advised and represented a wide range of clients in both Chapter 11 reorganization and Chapter 7 liquidation proceedings, including bankruptcy trustees, debtors, debtors in possession, and creditors in Louisiana, Texas and other jurisdictions. Ferdie’s extensive experience in his representation of bankruptcy trustees has encompassed the prosecution of preference, fraudulent conveyance, and other avoidance action proceedings, prosecution of discharge complaints, objections to exemptions and claims, executory contract matters, and various other aspects of the general administration of bankruptcy estates.
Ferdie has also concentrated his practice on real estate law and property matters, advising and representing appraisers, lenders, and title insurance companies in both federal and state court. He has handled breach of contract and title claims, breach of professional duty issues, foreclosures, and he has represented clients in matters before the Louisiana Real Estate Appraisal Board.
Ferdie earned his J.D. from Louisiana State University Law Center, where he was the recipient of the Austin W. Lewis Scholarship Award. Upon graduation, he clerked two years for the Honorable Marcel Livaudais, Jr., U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author of “CARES Act Temporarily Amends Bankruptcy Code,” (New Orleans Bar Association, April 2020)
- Co-Presenter of the “Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act and the Effect of Bankruptcy Proceedings on a Claimant’s Rights” (Association of Corporate Counsel, May 2016)
- Co-Presenter of “The Domestic Relations Exception to Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction” (New Orleans Bar Association, September 2014)
- Co-Presenter of “Special Issues with LLCs” (New Orleans Bar Association, August 2013)
- Co-Presenter of “Resolving the Case Through Settlement/Mediation – When, Why, and How to Get There?” (October 2012)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2024
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyer, for Bankruptcy: Business, 2017-2023
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, by New Orleans Magazine, 2018 -2022
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in the A.M. Best’s Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys