G. Wogan Bernard
G. Wogan Bernard is a partner in Chaffe McCall’s Business and Real Estate section where he has assisted lenders and developers in connection with all aspects of commercial real estate matters, including:
- Leasing and financing
- Loan workouts
- Distressed-asset assistance of commercial properties
Wogan’s real estate focus includes significant experience representing commercial lenders, developers and tenants in matters involving office buildings, apartments, condominiums, restaurants, low-income housing, and hotel developments. From small start-up businesses on a local level, he has advised clients in the areas of planning, zoning, subdivision, and permitting requirements. In addition, Wogan has further experience assisting clients on trusts and estate planning, and probate matters.
Wogan is a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys and currently serves as the ACMA State Chair for Louisiana. He is also an active member of the American Bar Association Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section. He currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Real Estate Finance group and Co-Vice Chair of the Young Lawyers Network of the ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law. From 2012-2015, he served as Chair of the Mortgage Lending Committee and in 2009 he served as Vice Chair of the Government Incentives Committee.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Garnishing the Congressional Intent: Protecting Debtor Wages in Bank Accounts Under the Federal and Louisiana Wage Garnishment Exemption Statutes, 66 La. L. Rev. 233 (2005).
- Update on the Amendments to FAS 140 – Accounting for Transfers of Financial Assets and Repurchase Financing Transactions, ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law eReport (June 2009).
- “Using Forms for Drafting Help—Tips for Young Lawyers” Probate & Property, Vol. 25, No. 1 (January – February 2011).
- Speaker, “Negotiating Commercial Loan Documents – How to Get What you Really Want,” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law –
Building Blocks of Commercial Real Estate CLE, (March 8, 2017)
- Speaker/Moderator, “SNDAs—Negotiation Tips from the Borrower, Lender and Tenant Perspectives,” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law 28th Annual Spring CLE Symposia (May 13, 2016)
- Panelist, “The Next Steps in Financing,” ABA 2016 Fundamentals of Commercial Real Estate Series R; American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law (January 27, 2016)
- Speaker/Moderator, “Loan Amendments: Borrower and Lender Beware!” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law 27th Annual Spring CLE Symposia (April 30, 2015)
- Panelist, “Commercial Real Estate Financing,” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Fundamentals of Commercial Real Estate eCLE series (March 25, 2015)
- Speaker and Program Chair, “Eager Client Needs a Loan: Who, What, When, Where, How?” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Spring CLE Symposia (May 1, 2014)
- Speaker, “Bridging the Gap: My Loan is Due, Now What Do I Do?” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Spring CLE Symposia (May 3, 2013)
- “Update on the Amendments to FAS-140—Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, January 12, 2009.
- “FAS-140 Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, June 2008
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Named as 2018 Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law “Lawyer of the Year” for New Orleans
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law and Real Estate, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” for Real Estate Practice, 2012 – 2017
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking & Finance – Louisiana, 2015
- Named by Chambers USA as an “Associate to Watch” in Banking & Financing, 2010 – 2014
- Selected by New Orleans Gambit as a 2014 “40 Under 40,” for professional accomplishments under the age of 40
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, and Commercial Transactions by New Orleans Magazine, 2012-2014
- Published member and Senior Editor of Louisiana Law Review
- Member of Omicron Delta Kappa
- Member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Louisiana Children’s Museum