Scott C. Barney
Scott C. Barney is a partner in the firm’s Baton Rouge office assisting clients with comprehensive legal work. He has served clients in construction, product manufacturing and businesses of all types in the areas of:
- Commercial litigation
- Product liability litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Toxic tort litigation
- Premises liability litigation
- Credit related litigation
- Complex collections and contract disputes
Scott’s experience includes representing owners, general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, suppliers and design professionals in legal disputes involving various facilities including petrochemical refining facilities, industrial manufacturing facilities, funeral homes, apartment complexes, hospitals, hotels, healthcare facilities, office buildings and commercial production facilities. He has relied upon his background to represent and guide contractors, product manufacturers and premises owners in multi-party mold and asbestos personal injury claims, construction defect litigation, product defect litigation, and commercial disputes throughout Louisiana courts. He has litigated and arbitrated matters, in state and federal trial and appellate courts involving:
- Toxic torts
- Mechanical/construction design, construction defect, and defective earthwork claims;
- Product defect claims
- Premises liability claims
- Multimillion dollar moisture intrusion, business interruption, business loss, and property devaluation claims; and
- Public bid law and intellectual property disputes.
Scott is admitted to practice before all state courts in Louisiana, the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
He graduated from Louisiana State University with a Bachelor of Science in Construction in 1987 and received his juris doctorate from Louisiana State University Law Center in 1992. While attending law school, he was a member of the Louisiana Law Review and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Following graduation, he served as a law clerk for the Honorable Luther F. Cole and the Honorable Catherine “Kitty” Kimball, Associate Justices of the Louisiana Supreme Court.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Construction Law, by New Orleans Magazine, 2021-2023