Michael D. Carleton
Michael D. Carleton is a Partner in Chaffe McCall’s Lake Charles office with over 30 years of experience assisting clients in real estate, commercial, probate, and estate planning matters. A strong focus of Mike’s practice has been in real estate and business matters. He has handled a wide range of work, representing developers, lenders, and property owners in the areas of:
- Commercial, industrial, and residential real estate development
- Loan transactions
- Business formation and management issues
- Probate/successions, wills, and power of attorney
Mike has also worked closely with clients in providing property title examination, title insurance, and closing services on both residential and commercial transactions. In addition, he has experience in closing FAA titled aircraft and US Coast Guard documented vessel loans.
Mike has handled the development of retail store sites in numerous locations throughout Louisiana and has handled estate matters in various Louisiana parishes. He is a former Instructor of the McNeese State University Paralegal Program Real Property Course. He received his J.D. and B.A. from Louisiana State University.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Louisiana State Chairman, American College of Mortgage Attorneys and editor of the College’s National Mortgage Law Summary section on Louisiana Law (2010-2016).
- Co-Presenter, “Negotiating Title Objections, Title Conditions, and Title Closing Deliverables in Commercial Purchase and Sale Agreements,” ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate section teleconference, 2017
- Panelist, “The 2006 ALTA Title Insurance Forms from the Practitioner’s Point of View” American Bar Association teleconference, 2006
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Listed in Acadiana Profile Magazine as a “Top Lawyers of Acadiana,” in the Real Estate law category, 2013 – 2021
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2010 – 2018
- Past President and Member of Board of Directors of the Kiwanis Club of South Lake Charles
- Member of United Way of Southwest Louisiana Board of Directors 2002-2013
- Former Member and Chairman of Episcopal Day School Advisory Board of Directors
- Served on the original Louisiana State Bar Association Uniform Title Standards Committee which promulgated a list of title standards to assist with title practices among the Louisiana bar
- Member and Chairman of Southwest Louisiana Title Attorneys Roundtable (2019, 2006,1999)