Julie D. Livaudais
Julie D. Livaudais is the Practice Area Coordinator for the Labor & Employment practice. She represents corporate clients ranging from local businesses to multinational corporations, as well as educational institutions and area nonprofit organizations. Honored as one of the Women of the Year by New Orleans City Business, Julie brings more than three decades of experience advising employers in various aspects of employment law and litigation including:
- Wrongful discharge
- Tort and contract claims
Julie also has experience handling related tort claims, such as defamation, infliction of emotional distress, and invasion of privacy. Several of Julie’s reported cases have strengthened the employment at will doctrine in Louisiana; and others have strengthened the jurisprudence concerning the deference to be accorded university tenure and promotion decisions.
Julie has counseled clients concerning personnel policies and practices, including the drafting of contracts and policies, investigation of complaints, and the drafting of employment applications, and employee handbooks. She conducts training sessions for supervisors and managers on best practices and legal compliance. She is the author of articles on labor and employment law and environmental law published in both the Tulane and Loyola Law Reviews, and a frequent speaker at seminars on employment issues.
A New Orleans native, Julie is a 1982 honors graduate of Tulane Law School, where she served as a member of the Board of Editors of the Tulane Law Review. She received her undergraduate degree from Stanford University in 1976. She serves on the boards of directors of numerous nonprofit organizations and is the past president of the boards of directors of The New Orleans Museum of Art, LCMC Health System, Agenda for Children, The Data Center, Children’s Hospital, Longue Vue House & Gardens, and Tulane Law School’s Advisory Board.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating n Martindale-Hubbell and listed in Martindale- Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers since 2012
- Featured in the Biz New Orleans 500 Listing, a list of “influential, involved and inspiring” greater New Orleans executives, 2021& 2022
- Named as a Recognised Practitioner by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment – Louisiana, 2017 – present
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in Employment Law, 2007- present
- Selected as a “Labor & Employment Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2019 – present
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2009 – present
- Selected by Super Lawyers as one of the “Top 25 Women Lawyers in Louisiana”
- Named to ‘2014 Women of the Year,’ by New Orleans City Business
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Labor & Employment Law by New Orleans Magazine, 2006 – present
- Selected as one of St. Charles Avenue magazine’s 2013 Activists of the Year
- Selected for Leadership in Law by New Orleans CityBusiness