Leah Nunn Engelhardt
Leah N. Engelhardt is a Partner and the Practice Area Coordinator for Chaffe McCall’s Insurance practice group. She offers a personal commitment to each matter she handles, drawing upon over two decades of diverse experience in a national insurance litigation and counseling practice for domestic and London Market insurers. Leah’s practice also includes handling insurance defense matters involving a variety of claims.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Insurance, Leah’s practice includes experience on a wide range of first and third-party matters under various forms of primary, umbrella, excess, and OCCIP policies. She has a demonstrated history of developing innovative approaches to servicing clients in connection with many types of coverage matters, including:
- Property (Commercial, Personal Lines, and Builder’s Risk)
- Bad Faith/ Extra-Contractual
- Professional Liability
- Medical Risks
- General Casualty
- Environmental/ Latent Injury
- Construction Defect
- Auto Liability
- Inland Marine
Prior to joining Chaffe McCall, Leah served as the New Orleans office Managing Partner of a regional law firm where she routinely advised domestic and international insurer clients in connection with insurance coverage, defense and complex litigation matters. She previously served for over 10 years with a mid-sized AmLaw 200 law firm as a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Practice group.
Leah maintains a strong commitment to the business and civic communities, including pro bono and charitable activities. She has worked with various non-profits in board leadership and fundraising positions, including the Children’s Hospital, New Orleans Museum of Art, Louisiana Children’s Museum, Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans, and the Audubon Institute.
She is a 2008 graduate of the New Orleans Regional Leadership Institute and previously served as President for the Junior League of New Orleans (2008-2009). The Young Leadership Council of New Orleans recognized Leah as a “2016 Role Model,” where recipients are chosen as an inspiration to YLC’s young professionals and the community at large. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Bureau of Governmental Research and as Chairman of the Board of Citizens for 1 Greater New Orleans.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATIONS
- “What Goes Around, Comes Around: The Sometimes Conflicting Interests of Primary and Excess Carriers” XL Catlin Seminar, London (2011)
- Venturing Into the Gulf: Conflict of Laws in the Gulf of Mexico” Xchanging Seminar, London (2010)
- Deposition Workshops, Lexington Insurance Company, London (2010)
- Deposition Workshops, Watkins Syndicate, London (2009)
- “Hurricane Survival Tips for Property Insurers: What You don’t Know Can Cost You,” Lexington Insurance Company Seminar, London (2009)
- “Mind the Gap: Seaman, Longshoreman, State Worker. What is This Claimant Anyway?” Xchanging Seminar, London (2008)
- Panel Member, “The Accidental Fax and Misdirected Communication” CLE Seminar, New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court
- Opening Speaker, Naturalization Ceremony, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Honorable Charles Schwartz, Jr. presiding
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Insurance Law, 2018
- Rated AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest ranking by peers for ethical standards and legal ability
- 2016 Young Leadership Council Role Model Award Recipient
- Bureau of Governmental Research, Board Member
- Citizens for 1 Greater New Orleans, Chairman of the Executive Committee and Good Government and Ethics Committee