V. M. Wheeler is a partner in the New Orleans office who offers a broad array of experience with transactions from both the legal and business perspectives. For nearly ten years V.M. was an investment banker in New York, Dallas and Houston. As an investment banker, he participated in a variety of transactions, including:
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Initial public offering of equity securities
- Private placements of debt
V.M. regularly advised Boards of Directors on valuation issues and rendered numerous fairness opinions. V.M. also has extensive experience in the financial services and healthcare industries.
V.M. has assisted clients with a variety of tax credit financings, including, Low Income Housing, Tax Credit and New Market Tax Credit transactions. His experience includes advising the largest Louisiana-headquartered mortgage banker on the divestiture of its commercial mortgage banking operations to a prominent Wall Street investment bank. In addition, he has advised the founders on the sale of a sleep disorder diagnostic services provider to a Boston-based merchant bank.
V.M.’s practice includes corporate law, commercial transactions, real estate, title insurance and contracts. As a licensed title insurance agent, he has issued title insurance policies for real estate transactions ranging from residential properties to large commercial projects and has advised in and out-of-state lenders on a variety of lending and title issues. V.M. regularly represents a national title insurance company in connection with title insurance policy claims.
V.M. has served as a member of the Board of Directors of a publicly-traded restaurant company and has been appointed to a number of governmental boards and commissions. In addition, he serves on the Boards of Directors or Advisory Councils of several charitable organizations and is an adjunct Associate Professor at Tulane Law School where he lectures on real estate transactions.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- “Intergovernmental Tax Immunity: Can Congress Constitutionally Tax State and Local Obligations?”, 7 Municipal Finance Journal 107 (1986)
- “Real Estate”, Louisiana State Bar Association 1984-85 Recent Developments In The Law, 1984
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, 2016
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Real Estate Law by New Orleans Magazine, 2012-2014
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Aquinas College (Nashville), Board of Directors
- The Catholic Foundation of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Board of Directors
- Chateau de Notre Dame, Board of Directors (Nursing Home and Hospice Provider)
- St. Anthony’s Gardens, Board of Directors, (Senior Living Facility)
- Christopher Homes, Inc., Board of Directors, 2007 – 2012, Director Emeritus (Senior Affordable Housing)
- New Orleans Council for Community and Justice, Board of Directors
- New Orleans Medical Mission Society, Board of Directors
- Tulane Fund Advisory Board, Board of Directors
- Loyola University New Orleans, College of Business Administration, Visiting Committee
- Loyola University New Orleans Alumni Association, Board of Directors