Laura Beck Knoll
Laura Beck Knoll is an associate in Chaffe McCall’s Admiralty section who draws upon her experience as a merchant marine to bring valuable and practical knowledge to clients and the maritime legal practice.
Prior to joining the firm, Laura served as a navigation, safety, and cargo officer aboard unlimited tonnage vessels in the Gulf of Mexico and around the world. Laura served primarily on U.S.-flagged product tankers, but has sailed on a variety of other vessels including military cargo, containership, bulk carriers, and a foreign-flagged LNG carier. She holds an Unlimited Second Mate license and a 1600- ton Masters license with Dangerous Liquid, Chemical, and Liquefied Gas endorsements.
Laura is a Lieutenant in the United States Naval Reserve and graduated cum laude from the United States Merchant Marine Academy, receiving a Bachelor of Sciences degree in Logistics and Intermodal Transportation. She recieed her J.D. from Tulane University Law School, where she served as an extern for the Honorable Judge Jane Triche Milazzo in the Eastern District of Louisiana and completed over 150 hours of pro bono service for the United States Coast Guard Sector Eight Legal Office. During that time, she was a member of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal and the John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court team.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- “Maritime Defendants and A Personal Jurisdiction Update,” Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee Newsletter, 40 Tulane Maritime Law Journal. (forthcoming 2015).
- “Punitive Damages Stow Away in the Fifth Circuit: Mcbride v. Estis Well Service, L.L.C.,” 38 Tulane Maritime Law Journal. 649 (2014), cited in McBride v. Estis Well Serv., L.L.C., 768 F.3d 382, 394 (5th Cir. 2014)(en banc)(Clement, J., concurring)
- “Governmental Immunity Under the Suits in Admiralty Act, the Public Vessels Act, and the Federal Tort Claims Act,” 45 J. Mar. L. & Com. 445 (2014)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition Semi-finalist, 2014
- A.N. Yiannopoulos award for outstanding substance and citation editing, 2014
- Kings Point Alumni, New Orleans Chapter