Walter F. Becker
Mr. Becker heads Chaffe McCall's Criminal Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense Section. As an experienced trial lawyer, he handles both criminal and select civil litigation. He represents individuals and corporations under federal and state criminal investigation. He also assists corporations with internal investigations and corporate compliance programs.
Before joining Chaffe McCall, Mr. Becker had a fourteen-year career as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Louisiana, where he served as First Assistant U.S. Attorney and Chief of the Criminal Division. During his time as a federal prosecutor, Mr. Becker also served as an Associate Independent Counsel in Washington, D.C. Prior to that time, Mr. Becker had served as an Assistant District Attorney in Orleans Parish for four years. As a Prosecutor, Mr. Becker tried over 100 jury trials. In addition to his own practice, Mr. Becker serves as a jury consultant, assisting other trial lawyers with jury research activities designed to identify winning trial themes and juror profiles.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Manslaughter Charges Against Corporations - Maritime Advocate Online (July 25, 2011)
- Recent Trends in Magic Pipe Cases - Maritime Advocate Online (December 9, 2008)
- How to Use a Jury Consultant - A Guide for Trial Attorneys - Louisiana Bar Journal (April/May 2003)
- Speaker, Annual White Collar Crime Collar Crime Symposium, Louisiana State Bar Association (2012, 2011, 2012)
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- AV Rating - Martindale Hubbell
- Chamber USA 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2011, 2012 - Leading Attorney in Litigation Related to White Collar Crime and Government Investigations
- Louisiana Super Lawyer - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Named as a "Top Lawyer" in Criminal Defense: White Collar in New Orleans Magazine - 2011, 2012
- Federal Bar Association, Board of Directors, New Orleans Chapter (2011-present)
- Sugar Bowl Committee, Member (2004-Present)
St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church, Clerk of Session (2012)