Robert S. Rooth
Robert S. Rooth heads the firm’s Commercial Litigation Section and serves as the firm's General Counsel. Committed to finding cost-effective solutions to complex issues, Mr. Rooth focuses his practices on Securities, Corporate Finance and Commercial Litigation, such as:
- Health care
- Oil and gas
- Intellectual property
- Corporate, transactional and securities matters
Mr. Rooth has presented seminars on topics as varied as “The Anatomy of a Civil Fraud Case,” “Louisiana Banking Law Into the Next Millennium,” “Qui Tam Plaintiffs - Whistle Blowers or Bounty Hunters?” and “Securities Issues Impacting Business Transactions in Louisiana.”
He received his J.D. from Tulane University School of Law, where he served on the Board of Editors of the Law Review and his B.A. from Princeton University in 1971. He is admitted to practice in all federal courts sitting in Louisiana, as well as the U. S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits and the U. S. Supreme Court. He is an Arbitrator for FINRA Dispute Resolution, as well as the National Arbitration Forum.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Representing a major branded pharmaceutical company in its sale of assets to Nestlé Health Science.
- Representing lenders and investors in numerous federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credit and new markets tax credit transactions.
- Representing independent film producers and tax credit investors in connection with the Louisiana motion picture tax credit program.
- Private placements of equity securities for pharmaceutical companies developing novel therapeutic drugs, and for laboratories, surgery centers, hospitals and HMOs.
- Representing acquirers and target companies in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Defending pharmaceutical companies against antitrust and unfair trade practices suits brought by the Louisiana Attorney General.
- Prosecuting claims under the federal Lanham Act against generic pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Defending independent oil and gas producers in severance tax litigation, lease and royalty disputes, and environmental matters.
- Defending banks in lender liability lawsuits.
- Defending an independent oil and gas producer in multidistrict litigation under the federal False Claims Act involving measurement of natural gas for royalty purposes.
- Defending an independent refining company in a $1 billion environmental suit filed by more than 270 residents and property owners seeking an injunction against the operation of our client’s fuels refinery.
- Representing oil and gas producers in lawsuits in which the firm’s clients recovered more than $200,000,000.
- Defending an expropriation suit on behalf of a regional blood bank.
- Defending a national hotel chain against developer claims for breach of a letter of intent to finance and build a twin-tower hotel.
Representing brokers, registered representatives and investors in securities arbitrations.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, 2009-2016
- Selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
- Named as a Top Lawyer by New Orleans Magazine 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers for Securities and Corporate Finance, 2007-2015
- Named as City Business Leadership in Law honoree, 2013
- Director of Resources First Foundation, the nation’s largest private landowner network
- Director of the Gulf Coast Conservation Association
- Director of several private foundations.
- Charter member of the Louisiana Bar Foundation
- Past President of the American Heart Association’s New Orleans Chapter
- Former director of Ferruzzi Finance U.S.A., Inc., a single purpose finance company that issued $100 million of auction preferred stock