R. Christopher Martin
Chris Martin is a special partner in Chaffe McCall’s Health Care section where he focuses his practice on general health care regulatory, compliance and risk management advice. Chris also has experience advising clients on program preparation, negotiation and preparation of wide range of contractual arrangements between numerous health care entities, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. He has assisted clients with
- HIPAA Compliance
- Medicare and Medicaid coverage and reimbursement
- Audit requests
- Licensure and accreditation issues
- Analysis of the Affordable Care Act for employers
- Disruptive and Physician issue
Prior to joining Chaffe McCall's New Orleans office, Chris served as in-house counsel at Ochsner Health System for 8 years. While at Ochsner, he advised management on a wide variety of legal, regulatory, compliance, and risk management issues and reviewed, negotiated and drafted contracts for the hospital, physicians, joint ventures and other transactions.
Prior to that, he founded one of the first full service dispute resolution firms in the New Orleans area, Martin Mediation Group, and personally conducted over 1200 mediations and a dozen arbitrations. He has acted as Chair of numerous medical review panels, acted as a peer review hearing officer, and mediated and arbitrated a wide range of health care disputes including managed care, medical malpractice, employment, and business disputes between health care providers and suppliers.
Chris has also been in private practice representing defendants in a broad range of maritime and civil cases after a two-year judicial clerkship in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. He received his law degree and a B.A. from Louisiana State University and is admitted to practice in Louisiana.
- "New Guidance from OCR on Ransomware Attacks," LHA Impact Lawbrief Newsletter, (August 2016)
- “Transparency of Hospital Charges Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA),” LHA Impact Lawbrief Newsletter, Vol. 30, Number 2 (Feb./March 2015)
- “The Affordable Care Act," New Orleans Bar Association (December 2014)
- "American Health Lawyers Association 340B Toolkit," contributing author, June 2014
- "Effective Dispute Resolution in the Health Care Industry: Progress and Opportunities," Louisiana Bar Journal, Volume 62, Number 2, November 2014
- "First Advisory Opinion of 2014 is Favorable,” Louisiana Hospital Association’s IMPACT Lawbrief Newsletter, Volume 29, Number 1, January 2014
- Co-author of "Louisiana Medicaid RAC's Are On the Way" for the Louisiana Hospital Association's IMPACT Lawbrief Newsletter," Volume 28, Number 4, April 2013
- Book Review: "Effective Negotiation by Bernard Ramundo." Loyola Law Review, Spring 1994
- "Mediation: A Better Way." Louisiana Bar Journal, Vo. 41 No.3, October 1993
- "Personal Injury Suit Mediation: A Success Story." The Claims Forum, Vol. 6.4, December, 1992; Published by the American Arbitration Association
- "The Affordable Care Act," New Orleans Bar Association, December 2014
- "Emerging Models of Clinical Integration and Accountable Care," Louisiana Hospital Association 24th Annual Health Law Symposium, Baton Rouge, LA, November 6, 2013
- "HIPAA - Old and New," Lorman Educational Services, April 2013
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Health Care in New Orleans Magazine, 2016
- Named as New Orleans City Business 2014 "Leadership in Law Honoree"
- New Orleans Bar Association Healthcare Law Committee Chair
- Steering Committee of the Institute of Education, Medicine and Spirituality at Ochsner (IMESO)
Lambeth House Foundation Board of Directors