Julie D. Livaudais
Honored as one of the Women of the Year by New Orleans City Business, Julie D. Livaudais is a general partner and Section Coordinator Employment Law group in Chaffe McCall's New Orleans office. With a broad understanding of employment law, Julie has defended clients in a wide-range of employment and sensitive workplace issues under federal and state law including:
- Race, age, sex
- National origin
- Disability discrimination
Julie represents corporate clients ranging from local businesses to multinational corporations, as well as educational institutions and area nonprofit organizations. She brings more than three decades of experience advising employers in various aspects of employment law and litigation such as wrongful discharge and breach of employment contract claims under state law, including related tort claims such as defamation, infliction of emotional distress, and invasion of privacy. Several of Julie's reported cases have strengthened the employment at will doctrine in Louisiana; and others have strengthened the jurisprudence concerning the deference to be accorded university tenure and promotion decisions.
Julie has rendered advice to numerous clients concerning personnel policies and practices, including the drafting of policies, investigation of complaints, and the drafting of employment applications, affirmative action plans and employee handbooks. She is the author of articles on labor and employment law and environmental law published in both the Tulane and Loyola Law Reviews, and a frequent speaker at seminars on employment issues.
A New Orleans native, Julie is a 1982 honors graduate of Tulane Law School, where she served as a member of the Board of Editors of the Tulane Law Review. She received her undergraduate degree from Stanford University in 1976.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in Employment Law, 2007-2017
- Selected by Super Lawyers as one of the "Top 25 Women Lawyers in Louisiana," 2013 -2015
- Named '2014 Women of the Year,' by New Orleans City Business
- Selected as one of St. Charles Avenue magazine's 2013 Activists of the Year
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers since 2012
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2009 - 2016
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Labor & Employment Law by New Orleans Magazine, 2006 -2015
Selected for 2007 Leadership in Law class by New Orleans CityBusiness