G. Wogan Bernard
Mr. Bernard is a partner in Chaffe McCall's Business and Real Estate Section where he has represented lenders and developers with the acquisition, divestiture, development, leasing and financing, loan workouts, and distressed-asset assistance of office buildings, apartments, condominiums, restaurant, low-income housing, and hotel developments. He has also assisted clients in the areas of planning, zoning, subdivision, and permitting requirements on the state and local level. In addition to real-estate law, he also advises clients on trusts and estate planning and probate matters.
Mr. Bernard is an active member of the American Bar Association Real Property Trust & Estate Law Section and currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Mortgage Lending Committee and Co-Vice Chair of the Young Lawyers Network of the ABA Section of Real Property Trust and Estate Law. In 2009, he served as Vice Chair of the Government Incentives Committee.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Garnishing the Congressional Intent: Protecting Debtor Wages in Bank Accounts Under the Federal and Louisiana Wage Garnishment Exemption Statutes, 66 La. L. Rev. 233 (2005).
- Update on the Amendments to FAS 140 - Accounting for Transfers of Financial Assets and Repurchase Financing Transactions, ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law eReport (June 2009).
- “Using Forms for Drafting Help—Tips for Young Lawyers” Probate & Property, Vol. 25, No. 1 (January - February 2011).
- Speaker, “Bridging the Gap: My Loan is Due, Now What Do I Do?” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Spring CLE Symposia (May 3, 2013)
- “Update on the Amendments to FAS-140—Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, January 12, 2009.
- “FAS-140 Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, June 2008
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Named by Chambers USA as an "Associate to Watch" in Banking & Financing for the years 2010 - 2013
- Named a "Top Lawyer" in Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, and Commerical Transactions in New Orleans Magazine (2012 and 2013)
- Named a "Rising Star" for Real Estate Practice by Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Published member and Senior Editor of Louisiana Law Review
- Member of Omicron Delta Kappa
Mr. Bernard serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity.