G. Wogan Bernard
G. Wogan Bernard is a partner in Chaffe McCall's Business and Real Estate Section where he has represented lenders and developers with the acquisition, divestiture, development, leasing and financing, loan workouts, and distressed-asset assistance of office buildings, apartments, condominiums, restaurant, low-income housing, and hotel developments. He has also assisted clients in the areas of planning, zoning, subdivision, and permitting requirements on the state and local level. In addition to real-estate law, he also advises clients on trusts and estate planning and probate matters.
Mr. Bernard is a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys. He is also an active member of the American Bar Association Real Property Trust & Estate Law Section and currently serves as the Chair of the Mortgage Lending Committee and Co-Vice Chair of the Young Lawyers Network of the ABA Section of Real Property Trust and Estate Law. In 2009, he served as Vice Chair of the Government Incentives Committee.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Garnishing the Congressional Intent: Protecting Debtor Wages in Bank Accounts Under the Federal and Louisiana Wage Garnishment Exemption Statutes, 66 La. L. Rev. 233 (2005).
- Update on the Amendments to FAS 140 - Accounting for Transfers of Financial Assets and Repurchase Financing Transactions, ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law eReport (June 2009).
- “Using Forms for Drafting Help—Tips for Young Lawyers” Probate & Property, Vol. 25, No. 1 (January - February 2011).
- Speaker/Moderator, "Loan Amendments: Borrower and Lender Beware!" 27th Annual Estate Planning and Real Property Spring CLE Symposia (April 30, 2015)
- Panelist, "Commercial Real Estate Financing," American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Fundamentals of Commercial Real Estate eCLE series (March 25, 2015)
- Speaker and Program Chair, "Eager Client Needs a Loan: Who, What, When, Where, How?" American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Spring CLE Symposia (May 1, 2014)
- Speaker, “Bridging the Gap: My Loan is Due, Now What Do I Do?” American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Spring CLE Symposia (May 3, 2013)
- “Update on the Amendments to FAS-140—Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, January 12, 2009.
- “FAS-140 Accounting For Transfer of Financial Assets And Repurchase Financing Transactions,” ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, June 2008
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking & Finance - Louisiana, 2015
- Named by Chambers USA as an "Associate to Watch" in Banking & Financing, 2010 - 2014
- Selected by New Orleans Gambit as a 2014 "40 Under 40," for professional accomplishments under the age of 40
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, and Commercial Transactions by New Orleans Magazine, 2012-2014
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" for Real Estate Practice, 2012 - 2015
- Published member and Senior Editor of Louisiana Law Review
- Member of Omicron Delta Kappa
- Member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Louisiana Children's Museum