Douglas R. Holmes
As a partner working in the Civil and Commercial Litigation sections of Chaffe McCall, Mr. Holmes focuses his practice on products and premises-liability actions, environmental litigation, railroad litigation, insurance defense, and business litigation. As a trial lawyer, he has successfully defended product manufacturers and premises owners in jury trials in both Louisiana and Texas.
In addition to his memberships in the Louisiana and Texas State Bar Associations, Mr. Holmes sits on the board of the New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel and is a member of the Defense Research Institute, the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, and the New Orleans Bar Association. He is a past director of the New Orleans Center for Nonprofit Resources. In 2005, he was elected as a Fellow in the Louisiana Bar Foundation, and he has served as a judge for Tulane Law School’s Moot Court competition.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bolton v. Sea-Mar Warehousing and Logistics, 2010-0286 (La. App. 4 Cir. 11/10/10), 51 So. 3d 836 - Successfully obtained a defense verdict for a warehousing company that had allegedly improperly loaded lumber onto an 18-Wheeler. The trial court found no fault on the defendant, and the Court of Appeal affirmed the trial court's ruling.
- Sevin v. Parish of Jefferson and Redflex Traffic Systems, 621 F. Supp. 2d 372 (E.D. La. 2009) - Obtained a summary dismissal of a traffic camera operator. The district court found no violations of due process or other federal laws and dismissed plaintiff's claims with prejudice.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Insurance and Railroad Law in New Orleans Magazine (2012 and 2013)
- Fellow - Louisiana Bar Foundation
- Board Member of the New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel
- Board Member of Girls on the Run
- Former Board Member - New Orleans Track Club