Douglas L. Grundmeyer
Douglas Grundmeyer heads Chaffe McCall's Appellate Section, where he concentrates on briefing and arguing appeals and writ applications in a wide variety of civil cases in state and federal courts, including:
- Admiralty and maritime law
- Commercial litigation
- Employment law
- Railroad law
- Products-liability actions
Before joining Chaffe McCall, he served as the Senior Law Clerk to the Chief Judge of the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal and was an editor for a national legal publisher.
In addition to his appellate work, Doug works closely with trial counsel in district court and arbitration proceedings to plan strategies, file pre-trial and dispositive motions, and preserve issues for interlocutory and final appellate review.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Smith v. American Life Assurance Co. of Columbus, 584 F.3d 212 (5th Cir. 2009) - successfully appealed a ruling on cross-motions for summary judgment interpreting an accident insurance policy and secured the dismissal of an action claiming benefits in excess of those already properly paid.
- Brookshire Bros. Holding, Inc. v. Dayco Products, Inc., 554 F.3d 595 (5th Cir. 2009), cert. denied, 172 L. Ed. 2d 578 (2009) - successfully appealed a discretionary-remand order, enjoined plaintiffs' attempt to litigate in state court, and opposed plaintiffs' certiorari application in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Founding Co-Chair of the Appellate Practice Committee of the New Orleans Bar Association (2010-14).
- "Settlement During Appeal: No Wagers Allowed," Co-author, New Orleans Bar Assocation's Briefly Speaking (Fall 2014).
- "Appeals: Making the Record," Co-author, New Orleans Bar Association's Briefly Speaking (Spring 2013).
- "Appeals: A District Court's Reasons for Judgment," Co-author,New Orleans Bar Association's Briefly Speaking (Fall 2012).
- "When Does the Time Period for an Appeal or Supervisory Writ Application Begin?,"Co-author, New Orleans Bar Association's Briefly Speaking (Summer 2011).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2013 -2016
- Named as a "Top Lawyer," in Appellate Practice by New Orleans Magazine, 2012 - 2015
- Listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Law
- Advisory Board Member of the New Olreans Opera Association
- Member of The Pirate's Alley Faulkner Society
- Member of the Laussat Society of the Historic New Orleans Collection
- Member of the College of Music and Fine Arts Visiting Committee of Loyola University
Former Board member and Secretary of Southern Rep Theatre