Charles P. Blanchard
Charles P. Blanchard graduated magna cum laude from the Tulane University School of Law in 1988. He served on the Tulane Moot Court Board and is a member of the Tulane Law School Order of the Coif. Mr. Blanchard has a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting and passed the CPA exam while working for a public accounting firm before entering law school.
Mr. Blanchard’s practice spans a wide variety of litigation matters with a focus on pharmaceutical litigation, environmental matters, and mass tort litigation. He has successfully defended corporate clients in drafting and obtaining dismissals at the summary judgment stage in numerous cases, including obtaining summary judgments in pharmaceutical matters based on lack of proof of causation. He has deposed numerous medical experts and coordinated discovery in mass tort matters. He has extensive experience in multi-district litigation (MDL) and class action matters, including successful defense of attempts to certify classes as well as representation of a client in class settlement through the administration phase of the settlement.
RECENT PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
Mr. Blanchard recently served as co-trial counsel in two trials spanning several weeks, both resulting in defense judgments. In re Katrina Canal Breaches Consolidated Litigation pertaining to: Barges, (E. D. of La, Civil Action No. 05-4182) involved a Bellwether trial concerning claims that the defendant’s barge caused levee damage resulting in massive flooding the Lower Ninth Ward and other portions of the New Orleans metropolitan area. In re Petition of Frescati Shipping Company, Ltd., as Owner of the M/T ATHOS I, and Tsakos Shipping & Trading, S.A., as Manager of the M/T ATHOS I, for Exoneration from or Limitation of Liability (E. D. of Pa, No. 05-cv-305) involved one of the largest tanker related oil spills in United States history, with total exposure approaching $300 million.
- "When Discovery in the U.S. Collides with Foreign Privacy Laws," For the Defense, (DRI - January 2013). Please click here to read the article.
- "The Supreme Court's Latest Pronouncements on Class Actions: The Leash Continues to Tighten", The Voice, (DRI - December 7, 2011, Volume 10, Issue 49). Please click here to read the article.
- "Pilva, Inc. v. Mensing: Will the Supreme Court's Decision Lead to Renewed Attempts to Assert Misrepresentation Claims Directly Against Name-Brand Manufacturers?", RX for the Defense (DRI - October 2011, Volume , Issue 2). Please click here to read the article.
- "The Supreme Court's Recent Decision on Pleading Standard Could Pave the Way for More Successful Rule 12(b)(6) Motions," The Voice, (DRI - December 16, 2009, Volume 8, Number 49). Please click here to read the article.
- "Smallwood v. Illinois Central Railroad Company: Has the Burden of Establishing Fraudulent Joinder of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives Gotten Tougher?", RX for the Defense (DRI - Summer 2005). Please click here to read the article.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as a Top Lawyer in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions and Construction in New Orleans Magazine (2013)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Board Member and Treasurer of Friends of CASA, Inc., (an organization supporting the Court-Appointed Special Advocates Program of Jefferson Parish)